11/30/2008 09:35:00 PM

Mala Doufu

"Delishas!" as my friend blurted out. Yep I make a mean, mouth-numbing Mabo Tofu. Actually I've read that Mabo Tofu without meat is called Mala Doufu, but nobody cares about that.

I've been lazy these few days and have been eating microwaved pre-made stuff from the grocer. So I finally kicked myself out of this unhealthiness and decided to cook something wondrous, natural, and spicy. And tadaa! Mabo Tofu! Actually I have to confess that I did cheat and that I just bought the sauce, but at least I compromised by doing a no-meat thing and served it only with mushrooms, onions, and various veggies. And of course, tons of hot peppers.

Mabo Tofu is traditionally made with a special spice, Sichuan pepper. It's not really hot like a regular pepper should be, rather it gives a numbing effect. So since I don't have any, I settled to recreating the said effect with peppers, crushed chilis, and a large dollop of jalapeno hot sauce.

It was so hot and spicy it melted my bowl and turned it into a plate. Okay that was a joke, but it was OH-GOSH-ARRGGHH. I loved it. And I also loved how the tofu squares managed to retain their perfect symmetrical shape even after all those boiling around with the other non-symmetrical veggies. They were so soft, bouncy, and totally tasteless, balancing out the powerful sauce.

"Delishas!" and very cheap to make too. I made gallons of the stuff, enough to feed me through the week. Thankfully, spiciness acts as a preservative and a great substitute for numbing peppers.

I now have something to make for Christmas. Something to make my friends appreciate my choco custard more.

2 messages:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, we LOVE mabodofu in this house! ^_^ Aren't those little packages convenient? I've become a huge fan of Cook-Do products because of their convenience in a pinch. Have you ever tried Mabo-Kyabetsu at all? I was kind of forced into it recently when I had about a half hour to make a meal and was out of ideas! First I was just going to run downstairs to the Supaa Tamade (lord, I hope you don't have those stores in Tokyo) to get a box of Hoikoro mix, but all I ended up finding was the Mabo Cabbage mix. It's the flavor of...mabo?...with cabbage and pork (but only if you like!)! Yumbly! ^_^

BTW, what's your favorite kind of tofu?...I love the hard kind because it retains its shape more easily. Is that what you got this last time?

Megane~kun said...

I've cooked dozens of those packaged sauces and they were all so good! I did tweak the taste a little bit, I find some of them were a bit too bland for my taste.

Mabo Cabbage? Wow, I was hoping that was possible, I have this huge cabbage at the back of the fridge and I was wondering if I could add it in.

Well back in my country, we have a popular dessert that uses the soft/silken tofu with brown sugar and vanilla syrup. Served cold and usually eaten during the early mornings. So in the grocer, I bought the same kind. It was wobbly and smooth...

Yumbly!